Thursday, September 19, 2013

The nerd in me

A dear friend of mine is one of those people who is very passionate about history,  we are talking does reenactments usually a few times a year.  He collects historical artifacts, studies for fun, makes historical facial hair look cool, and can talk so enthusiastically about history it gets other people excited about it.  His vast knowledge is astounding and it is always a great pleasure for me when we get into discussions about Europe in the 1500's (I adore the Tudor dynasty.)

It may seem a little odd for me to talk of such things in a craft blog but there is a very good reason ... he has asked me to make a historically accurate quilt for him!  The amount of work it is going to take does seem a little daunting but in the face of difficulty I tend to develop an almost inhuman amount of determination. This is just a very exciting opportunity for me!  Not only do I get to share my passion for quilting with a friend but I also get to let my inner nerd out to play.  The research has begun for both of us, as we both want to make something accurate to time, trying to find patterns and fabrics that do not jeopardize the integrity of a reproduction. 

I'll be meeting up with him tomorrow in hopes to brainstorm further about what he wants and maybe I can talk him into doing one of those pretty Turkish red and white quilts I keep coming across in my research.  Like quilting has been since I started almost 2 years ago this shall be a giant learning experience for me and I'm completely thrilled about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment