Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Freestyle sewing

This past weekend I finally got my sewing machine back and of course the creative bug had grown to Godzilla size in the week I was sans machine.  So aside from binding the quilt that I posted about yesterday I decided to do some freestyle sewing.  When making quilts and well anything that requires piecing for that matter "measure twice, cut once" is a lifestyle, a mantra to live by, and some times all that precise-ness can be draining.  It isn't often that I just sit down and make something these days without thinking about it for weeks in advance, figuring up all the math and knowing exactly each step to take 12 steps before I have to take it.  As someone that tried every creative path out there before discovering quilting and embroidery I completely enjoy just creating for the sake of creating, to know that out of a pile of what looks useless I make something (hopefully) beautiful.  This weekend was no exception.
Not a single piece of fabric was measured, everything was just eyeballed before I sat down to just wing it.  It isn't perfect, it isn't fit for a price tag, but I made it for me and the quilt dubbed "MINE."  When I sat down over a year ago to draw up "MINE" I used my trusty highlighter to color and absolutely fell in love with the blue highlighter look.  I adore bold and bright colors, wearing things like the cardigan that my friends call "caution yellow," so the fact that I went on a search for the perfect "highlighter blue" fabric for my own quilt should not be surprising at all.  Fabric.com saved the day, as usual, allowing me to select swatches of several fabrics to be sent to me in hopes to find that majestic highlighter blue.  Kona Cotton Peacock was the most perfect match and seeing that square of fabric made my heart leap with joy and a giggle to escape my lips so I proceeded to get online and order a few yards ... amongst the other fabric I ordered.  A few weeks ago I finished up the quilt front of "MINE" and there was that square of fabric, the small piece of fabric that made my vision come true, so of course the only way I was going to be happy was by slicing that square up with my rotary cutter.  Within an hour all of the swatch was cut and sewn with scraps of white from "MINE" and a splash of yellow from a table cloth I've had since I was a pre-teen and turned into ...


It's not perfect but it sure is adorable and I think it will look absolutely beautiful once I finish "MINE" and can put it all together on my bed.  What would you make if all you had to do was create for the sake of creating?

No comments:

Post a Comment